Join "One human family, food for all", the first international campaign by Caritas Internationalis aimed at ending hunger by 2025.
This movement is focused on equality, dignity and justice for all – a world where every child, woman and man can have an equal share of the abundant world that God created.
Enough food is produced in the world to feed everyone – yet nearly a billion people go hungry. It is a scandal, and Caritas Australia, along with the entire Caritas network, has a vision of a future without hunger by 2025.
Campaign launch message from Pope Francis
It is a scandal that so many people go hungry in a world that has the capacity to feed everyone. Unequal access to food has become a crisis – made worse by unfairness such as financial speculation on food, diversion of food sources to energy production, food wastage, and difficulties of accessing markets. The right to food protects the right of all human beings to live in dignity, free from hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition.
The right to food is at the heart of “One human family, food for all.” This is the first international campaign involving the entire Caritas Internationalis confederation, advocating for governments and the international community to ensure and implement the right to food.
This campaign is advocating for structural changes which includes food sovereignty (i.e. defending local communities’ rights), while also demanding changes in government policies and regulations.
Caritas Internationalis is asking government leaders to:
- Provide adequate support to smallholder farmers for producing locally grown food
- Prevent or mitigate investment speculation on food
- Change laws that place obstacles on women trying to produce food, and ensure that women have control over resources like land and can access good markets
- Guarantee decent, non-exploitative work conditions for people who produce food
- Promote social and fair trade between small-scale farmers and consumers
- Introduce ‘safety nets’ for people affected by socio-environmental crises that might block easy access to food
- Secure food for people displaced by humanitarian crises
- Fund programs to end childhood malnutrition and stunting in children
Join the global movement to end world hunger by 2025. Subscribe to our campaigns newsletter (via the sign-up at the top of this page) to receive updates about how you can get involved. In the meantime you can be a part of the global wave of prayer that launched the campaign.
Message from Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga