Middle East Crisis Appeal
On 15 March 2016, the 5th anniversary of the conflict in Syria, Caritas Australia reaffirms its commitment to the millions of people affected by this conflict.
Caritas Australia’s Middle East Crisis Appeal* enables us to respond quickly to help people who have been forced to flee for their safety, who have lost loved ones, and who will bear the scars of conflict long after it is over.
How Caritas is helping
Caritas Australia has been deeply committed to supporting our sisters and brothers living in vulnerable circumstances in Syria, and in other countries to which they have been forced to escape, including Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.
Our membership of the global Caritas network has enabled us to help make a difference to the lives of many vulnerable people. The Caritas network collectively reached 1.8 million Syrians in its programs in 2015 alone.
Caritas Australia has supported the emergency response led by Caritas agencies in Middle East countries. This support has been made possible through the generous donation of our supporters and funding from the Australian government.
In Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey, Caritas programs have focused on emergency assistance, providing refugee families with food, water, sanitation and hygiene, shelter, and non-food items (such as blankets, clothing, hygiene kits and heaters).
In addition, we support programs which meet longer term needs, by offering psychosocial support, healthcare, educational and social services, including protection to vulnerable refugees.
Examples of programs:
- In Lebanon, we supported the Syrian Resiliency Project, which helped more than 7,700 Syrian refugees, including conflict-affected children traumatised by the crisis. The program uses puppetry films and puppet-based activities.
- We are currently supporting a program that offers support to vulnerable Syrian and Lebanese women who are survivors of gender-based violence. The program provides safe shelters and trauma counselling. This program is funded through the Australian Government’s Humanitarian Partnership Agreement (HPA).
- In Gaza, Caritas Australia is working with our partner agency Catholic Relief Services to increase the resilience of households vulnerable to chronic shocks. This includes initiatives such as forming Savings and Internal Lending groups. This program is funded through the Australian Government’s HPA.
We are making a difference to refugee families through immediate relief and longer term support... Syrian families I spoke with explained that this support has made a huge difference in their lives - rental assistance, household supplies, nutritious food, as well as much needed medical and psychosocial care."Suzy McIntyre, Caritas Australia’s Humanitarian Emergencies Program Coordinator
How you can help
We invite you to stand in solidarity with the innocent people in the Middle East who have been forced to flee for their safety, who have lost loved ones, and who will suffer the effects of conflict long after it is over.
Donate to the Middle East Crisis Appeal* to help the many families who have fled conflict, those who are internally displaced and vulnerable host communities who are overwhelmed by the increasing numbers of refugees.
By donating to this appeal, you will support a broad range of programs run in partnership through the Caritas Internationalis network and partners, operating in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq and the Palestinian territories. This appeal may also respond to other needs in the region should the situation change due to an escalation in conflict or due to natural disasters.
Your generous support will help us respond quickly with our partners on the ground, particularly in situations where there is an escalation in ongoing conflicts.
Please donate to Caritas Australia's Middle East Crisis Appeal* to provide
immediate relief for those in urgent need.
- $15 could provide a blanket for one person in Gaza
- $50 could buy a life-saving food kit for a conflict affected family in Lebanon
- $100 could help 20 children affected by the Syria crisis with psychosocial support
- $170 could provide blankets, a jerry can, bucket and kitchen set for one family in Iraq
Donations $2 and over are tax deductible.
* Following initial emergency responses, all money raised from our emergency appeal will be directed to our ongoing rehabilitation programs to help affected families rebuild their homes, communities and livelihoods. Donations may be used for more disaster preparedness training in this vulnerable region as communities’ ability to immediately identify and respond to all types of disasters is proven to save lives, livelihoods and property. In the event that funds raised through this appeal exceed the programming needs of our partners, your donation will be directed to other priority Caritas Australia emergency response programs.
Caritas Australia ensures that least 92 percent of money raised through an emergency appeal goes directly to the emergency program response.