Nepal Earthquake Recovery Response
In April 2015, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Nepal, followed by a second earthquake two weeks later. Nearly nine thousand people lost their lives, almost one third of the population were affected, and more than 600,000 homes were completely destroyed. With the help of our supporters, Caritas Australia has been working alongside our local partner to help communities recover from the devastation.
Immediately after the earthquake struck, Caritas Australia began working closely on the ground with the local Caritas response to provide emergency assistance to people devastated by the disaster.
Thanks to the generous support of the Australian Catholic community and the Australian Government, the global Caritas network was able to reach over 59,000 households with emergency aid, such as temporary shelter, blankets, water and hygiene kits, and non-food items.
Recovery and rebuilding
Caritas is now working to help communities recover from the destruction of the earthquake, rebuild their homes and restore their livelihoods.
Some examples of our work will include:
- Training local construction workers in earthquake resistant techniques and supplying building materials to families most in need. These activities will lead to houses which are more resistant to future earthquakes and employment opportunities for local people
- Cash-for-work schemes, such as recruiting people who have been affected by the earthquake to clear debris and repair damaged infrastructure
- Supporting communities to develop disaster preparedness plans to build greater resilience to future disasters
- Improving access to safe, clean water and sanitary facilities.
Through our integrated recovery response, Caritas Australia is working with communities to build a brighter and more resilient future.
Now we are shaping a future alongside our Nepali brothers and sisters. We will build earthquake-resistant houses so people feel safe, we’re making sure children can go to school, families have water and we’re ensuring people sow their fields and reap their harvests...”Fr Silas Bogati, executive director of Caritas Nepal
Donate to the Nepal Earthquake Appeal
Please donate to help families on the path to recovery. Your donation will allow Caritas Australia to respond to the needs of people devastated by the earthquake and support communities as they rebuild their lives and livelihoods. Donate now »
Donations $2 and over are tax deductible*
* Your donation to our Nepal Earthquake Appeal will be used to support the urgent emergency response in Nepal and neighbouring countries, and may be used for long-term recovery work following the immediate response stage. In the event that funds raised through this appeal exceed the programming needs of our partners, your donation will be directed to other priority Caritas Australia emergency response programs.