10 ways to get involved in Project Compassion
2 Apr 2014 | Blog | Project Compassion | Supporter action
We’re now a few weeks into Project Compassion 2014, and you’ve probably seen the amazing, inspiring stories of Maristely, Deng, Archie and this week, Martina. After hearing these stories, we often feel that we want to do something, somehow to get involved and contribute – but what?
Well here’s a list of 10 other things you can do to get involved!
- Give up something for Lent – It can be chocolate, coffee, buying that weekly magazine, or anything else, and donate the money you would have spent for that to Project Compassion
- Sign a petition – Call on international sporting event organisers to ensure their events protect the human rights of local host communities, like Maristely’s. Sign now >
- Walk for justice – Hold a Caritas Ks event to raise funds, as well as raise awareness about those who have to walk many kilometres each day for basic necessities. You can do it individually, or in a group, and can walk, run, swim or cycle to make up your k’s
- Get into the sporting spirit – Keen on sports or sporting events? Get together with some friends and organise a Sports for Justice event to advocate about how sports can be just and contribute to the fight against poverty
- Learn, Act and Pray for change – Take action and pray for poor and vulnerable communities around the world, as well as for our own community to continue to work for justice, by using the Project Compassion Lent Calendar
- Reflect and pray – for the situation of communities around the world with the Prayer of Solidarity or Way of the Cross PowerPoint reflection
- Hold a cake stall – an oldie, but a goodie! Organise a cake stall in your parish, school, workplace, or local community, and donate the profits from your sweet treats to Project Compassion
- Don't have a sweet tooth? Follow the Catholic tradition of abstaining from meat on Fridays, and hold a Fish Friday event using our fish recipe from Maggie Beer
- Share your favourite Project Compassion story with a friend or family. Just by talking to someone else about one of the stories, you can help raise awareness of situations of poverty and injustice around the world. You could also share the weekly story videos on Facebook or Twitter
- Inspire others – Be part of the Project Compassion community, and write on our Wall of Solidarity to share with others what you have done this Project Compassion
These are just a few things you can do to support Project Compassion this year – check out these and others at www.caritas.org.au/projectcompassion.
We would love to hear about your Project Compassion activity! Send us stories and photos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to blog