School holiday activities from Caritas
11 Apr 2014 | Blog | Project Compassion
It’s school holiday time again! While all the kids celebrate, we’ve put together some suggestions for parents who are wondering how to keep kids entertained these few weeks.
Here are a couple of school holiday activity ideas that will help your kids learn more about social justice issues and the Project Compassion stories in a fun and creative way.
- Explore our interactive Global Community – Each year, Project Compassion features individuals from around the world. Help your kids learn more about the lives of people living in other communities by clicking through the stories, photos, videos and interesting facts in our Global Community »
- Rhyme for Compassion – One of the stories of Project Compassion this year is of Martina, a teacher in the Solomon Islands who teaches her students what to do during emergencies through songs. Watch the Solomon Islands video with your kids, and then get them to use their creative talents to write a song describing what to do during an emergency. They can then submit their song into our Rhymes for Compassion competition – best entry wins a Caritas football!
- Lent isn’t over yet – Check out the Lent Calendar (online or app), and together as a family you can learn and pray, and resolve to take up an action each day.
- Conduct a water audit – It is so easy for us to take access to clean, safe water for granted. Communities like Deng’s remind us that we should be grateful for this access and be careful not to waste it. Why not conduct a water audit with your kids? This worksheet is designed for a at school, but can easily be adapted to your home!
- Find out about the World Cup – With only two months to go, everyone is talking about the FIFA World Cup! During these holidays, you can help your kids learn more about major sporting events, like the World Cup, the impact they can have on marginalised people in the community, and how we can work together to make them more just and sustainable. You can start by watching this video from Maristely in Brazil »
- Learn more about Fair Trade – With Easter coming up, chocolate and Easter eggs are everywhere! Do you ever think about the chocolate we eat - who made it, or where the products come from? Why not learn more about Fair Trade with your kids, and use this information when shopping for Easter eggs this year.
These are just a few school holiday activity ideas – you can find others on our website, including trying out our Caritas Café recipe book, organising a Caritas Ks walk, run or swim, or even making candles like Archie!
And when you have completed your Caritas school holiday activity, you can take a photo and post it on our Wall of Solidarity to inspire others to take action »
Back to blog